Friday, October 31, 2014

Web Crawlin': Halloween Edition

All Hallows Eve.  

How do you feel about this holiday?  Will you celebrate it?  Will you dress up?  Pass out candy?  Hit the clubs/bar scene in your costume?  Throw a fabulous, scary bash?  Or save your money/time and go to someone else's party?  I'd love to know.  As I've aged, I have noticed that a lot of people start falling off the "I'm so crazy about Halloween" train post-college.  In your late 20s you realize that you are A) a little too old to be given candy while trick or treating; B) a little too old to be eating candy in super high quantities like you were when you were five; and C) a little too old to be able to bounce back like you used to from a Halloween Party hangover.  Some people even say they're too old to dress up really.  

Halloween isn't my favorite holiday.   But I'm kind of like Joan from "Girlfriends" in that I love certain aspects of every holiday.  I like the creepy history behind the origin of Halloween.  When I was younger, I LOVED trick or treating with my dad. My sisters and I would go out with him for HOURS. I love ghost stories and scary movies around this time of year.  In college, my friends and I would throw the BEST Martha Stewart inspired Halloween parties.  And although I've never been super awesome at dressing up, I like the concept, and I love people watching.  Going out in D.C. during college to celebrate Halloween night = some of the best people watching in the region.  And probably most of all, I LOVE candy. And this rings even more true ever since I had my transplant.  My sweet tooth has become my SWEET MOUTH.  Is that a thing? Can that be a thing?  

One thing I'm not big on:  carving pumpkins.  I was just never good at it.  Plus, I don't like touching the pumpkin guts. Ironic, since one of my favorite things to make is a whole roasted chicken.  


Here's some holiday stuff from around the web: 


Homemade candy.  Hey, it's a way to reduce sodium, right?

A lot of stuff about horror in entertainment, movies, TV, etc. Including a discussion on CLOWNS.

Apparently, this is where Jack O'Lantern's come from

Are you gonna dress up? If you dress up as a witch, you'll probably be in good company:  Most Popular Halloween Costumes

Ideas for using your leftover Halloween candy.  Other than just stuffing your face with it, of course. 

And we can't forget about Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebrations.  I'm painting my face like this!  Trying to convince Ben to do it too.

Anyhoo, here's a sneak peek at part of my costume for tonight.  Can you guess who I'm going as??  




Hint:  I'm not Lady Gaga.

Have a great weekend y'all. 




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!