Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2014 Recap

Happy New Year!

First snow of 2015
In my world, the "new year" doesn't actually start until the first Monday of January...or the first day back to work in January.  So, welcome to 2015 people...officially!




I don't even really know where to start with this post because it seems like it's been eons since I've written anything.  My scatterbrained-ness all started after I hosted a cookie swap at my apartment in December.  That week I baked 100 cookies and things just weren't the same after that.  Over New Year's Eve, I went to a ski resort with my sisters and was able to calm down from the dizzy high of Christmas parties, swaps, shopping, present-wrapping, and the Christmas traditions that I do love so much.  Now that it's all said and done, I'm actually (for once) happy that Christmas is over.  And I'm happy that the holidays are over. I really needed some "normal" back in my life. 

Anyway, what did you think about 2014? Was it the best of times, or was it the worst of times? Was it both? Remember my best and worst year, 2013?? It's OK if it was both.  That's normal.  One of my favorite quotes ever goes: "If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn't be a human being; you'd be a game show host."  If you can guess where that's from then we can be friends forever and ever.  

I know a lot of people say 2014 went by fast but I don't think it was particularly fast or slow. I think it just went.  It just went by at its own pace.  Unlike years prior it wasn't marked by any one big event for me, like the previous years, i.e. graduating college, getting engaged, getting married, getting a new kidney.  You ever have years like that? I guess that's how it is for most people.  Reflecting back on it all, I'm happy with how my 2014 passed.  Take a look at my "lights."  

Highlights:
I turned a year older. 27, and since I'm a winter baby that number is really 27-going-on-28.
I traveled to Vegas and Death Valley with my family. 
I traveled to Greece with Ben.
Ben and went camping, twice, including to Horse Island, aka Assateague.
I discovered SoulCycle.  
Finally, got my "Life With..." chronic illness spotlight feature off the ground for my blog.
Ben and I grew actual vegetables on our balcony.
I was finally baptized.
I met new people and developed some amazing friendships with amazing women. 
Ben and I managed to stay married for a full year!
I managed to keep my kidney healthy for a full year!  

Regular lights:
I purchased my first daily agenda in years, while still managing to keep my control-freak personality at bay.
I drank a bunch of water.  

Low lights:
I contracted CMV
I got another UTI...UGH! When will it end?  


That was 2014. What does 2015 hold? I don't know. There are a couple of things I want to do/accomplish/see.  And to be honest, when I think of doing all of these things, I think, how is this possible? How would this work out? I can't do all of these things at once.  But as soon as I think like that, I just stop. Because at this point in my life, I'm tired. I'm tired of trying to have everything figured out.  I just have no desire to do that anymore, right now, I guess--no desire to have everything figured out.  I know that sounds crazy! But there's also something so liberating about (1) admitting that I don't have it all figured out and; and (2) trusting that everything will work itself out in the end without me stressing over it.

Anyway, that's me. Here are some New Year's links that I've found on some of my favorite sites:


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!