Friday, July 11, 2014

The Real Almost 30 Birthday

When you're with somebody for a while, you start to take them for granted. It's true. Tomorrow Ben and I will have celebrated ten of his birthdays together.  And I haven't always been the best "birthday celebrator."  Gifts aren't my love language, so I've been known to not get him a gift.  Yes, I've been that person who just gives "coupons," which are apparently really bad for your relationship because the receiver never cashes them in, and then when they try to cash them in they never get their prize.  This is true.  I've lived it as the coupon giver.  Don't let anybody try to give you coupons.  

Thinking back to some of our middle years together, the years where the luster of a new relationship has dulled somewhat, I do feel bad about some of the birthdays when I didn't properly fete Ben. And I've been trying to make it up slowly, year by year.  This year will be no different.  Ben's birthday is on a Saturday so I have no choice but to make it great, from start to finish, from top to bottom, from morning to night.  That's my goal.  

Ben, you know I've never been good at birthdays.  But thank you for seeing past my faults and mishaps when it comes to celebrating them.  Thank you for loving me anyway.  I'm just so happy you were born.  I want nothing more than for all your dreams and wishes to come true and prayers to be answered in your last year of these crazy 20s.  You're a "grown-up," baby. Much Love, your adoring Wife.

Celebrating our 1 Year Anniversary on Assateague Island

1 comment:

  1. That was so sweet!!! You both are adorable :-)
    That is funny that you said your not the best birthday celebrator...me either. My honey always gets me a cake and a present and flowers but when it comes to his birthday...I suck! I try but sometimes it just doesn't work. One year I made him a cake and right before I was going to give it to him, it fell on the floor with a puh-thud and splatt!!! Another year I bought him a present that never got delivered...ever....finally, I forgot his birthday all together one year and remembered the following month...yikes! He has never forgotten mine :-( BUT he knows I love him and he loves me! WE HAVE KEEPERS!!!! I hope you both have a great week! Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete