Monday, March 31, 2014

Throwback Post-- Remember When I Had That Tube?

Top of the Monday to you.  

I am feeling nostalgic.  Y'all...it's basically April.  You know what that means.  I've basically had my dad's kidney for a year.  I can't believe I haven't touched on all the things that happened last year in more "throwback posts."  It's actually really fun to go back 12 months from a certain point and read about what my life was life and especially what my mindset was like.  I guess that's a really cool thing about having a blog.  The internet never forgets.  [Side note: I feel like that's an awesome tagline for a movie about things that we posted on the internet in our past coming out of our computers to terrorize us.]

Fun Blog Fact: this time last year I was going under for an outpatient procedure to have my PD Catheter placed.  PD catheters allow you to participate in home dialysis, which is what I getting ready to do until--MIRACLE!-- God totally came through for me with a new kidney.  Before I let you read about it one more time, because memories are the best, here are three things you may not know about the surgery and/or my PD catheter:

1.  I was INSANELYE nervous about this surgery.  It was definitely depressing to think about having to start dialysis.  I get this feeling that some people view dialysis as an OK thing.  I don't know, I just get that feeling.  I could be wrong.  But I just feel like people think dialysis is a great alternative to kidney transplant.  Like, "Oh just do dialysis, right? That works, right?"  It's not an awesome alternative to having a transplant. It's time consuming and inconvenient and not the greatest way to live life.  But I digress...I was really nervous about my surgery because I hate going under. Yep! I was so freaked out by the anesthesia.  I was convinced that something would happen to me while I was under.  Most notably, I thought that I would wake up in the middle of the surgery and feel the knife cutting into my skin and I would not be able to move around or scream.  Yep....I know.  You don't have to tell me that I have issues.  Pray for me.

2.  Cats and stomach surgery don't go together, surprisingly.  While I was recovering at home, my cat, Burton, figured my healing would be the best possible time to use my newly sliced open stomach as a springboard for his daily acrobatics.  Cats really are evil  creatures.  Please pray for his salvation.

3.  The scar that I had from surgery is hardly visible now.  It's so funny but sometimes I forget I ever had that surgery.  The two scars I have from the surgery are finally starting to blend in with my natural skin color. I have no more pain in that area.  I have to remind myself sometimes that the whole tube era...actually happened to me! I was that girl with a plastic tube coming out of my stomach!  



Look how far we've come! Weeee! 

Anyways enjoy 10 Things, One Tube, again ....or for the first time if you're new here.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!